Your Cart is Empty
Click here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
CHECK Foster Care Project Resources
CHECK Foster Care Project Resources
Helping the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) train staff at the Comprehensive Health Evaluations for Cincinnati’s Kids (CHECK) Foster Care Center to screen and intervene with youth in foster care around their substance use.
NORC Adolescent SBIRT Curriculum
Using SBIRT to Talk to Adolescents about Substance Use:
4-part On-demand Educational Series
Other NORC Webinars
- NORC On demand SBIRT Webinars
- The Addiction Professional’s Mini Guide to SBIRT for Adolescents - See slide 38-51 for Stages of Change/ Motivational Interviewing information (recording is also available).
Adolescent SBIRT Curriculum Instructor’s Toolkit
The Instructor's Toolkit contains the 300+ page Learner’s Guide to Adolescent SBIRT with companion slide decks and supplemental resources. In addition, it includes examples of sample interactions between a practitioner and adolescent or young adult; dialogues and role plays that learners can use to practice the components of SBIRT; extensive appendix of materials including adolescent substance use screening tools, case studies, pocket cards, and performance feedback and evaluation tools for assessing quality and fidelity during role play and simulation exercises; suggested readings that align with each module of the Learner’s Guide; and sample course syllabi.
Kognito Online Simulation Training
SBI with Adolescents
NORC and Kognito’s SBI with Adolescents is a conversation simulation designed to prepare health professionals to screen young patients for substance use, conduct brief interventions using evidence-based principles of motivational interviewing, and, when necessary, refer patients to further support. This simulation helps practitioners learn basic facts about adolescent substance use, as well as techniques to screen patients and conduct brief interventions to drive positive change in health behaviors. Learn more and access the simulation
SBI with Adolescents: Comorbid Substance Use and Mental Health
NORC and Kognito have released a new simulation! SBI with Adolescents: Comorbid Substance Use and Mental Health is a conversation simulation designed to prepare health professionals to identify and support adolescents at risk for multiple behavioral health issues, including substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation. Learn more and access the simulation
Resources for Providers & Staff
Resources for Providers & Staff
- Adolescent SBIRT Fact Sheets & Educational Brochures (NORC)
- Drug Facts (NIDA)
- Marijuana Facts (NIDA)
- Marijuana Risks (SAMHSA)
- What We Know About Marijuana (CDC)
- What You Need to Know About Marijuana Use and Teens (CDC)
- Marijuana Additional Resources for Providers - Contains science and marijuana research, marijuana fast facts, videos, vaping information, and guides for parents.
- Marijuana Clinical Guidance document - Contains information about marijuana to guide SBIRT work with adolescents and adults.
- Tobacco, Nicotine, & Vaping facts (NIDA)
Motivational Interviewing & Stages of Change
- Using Motivational Interviewing in Substance Use Disorder Treatment (SAMHSA) - Provides information on MI, core principles, and examples.
- Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Use Disorder Treatment: Tip 35 (SAMHSA) - See table of contents.
- Stages of Change document (NORC) - Provides information on the stages of change for providers/staff along with a diagram.
SBIRT Pocket Cards
- SBIRT Oregon demo videos – Offer strong examples of SBIRT in practice.
- See Erin BI demo video - Erin is a 16-year-old patient who drinks alcohol and receives a brief intervention after completing the CRAFFT screening tool (telehealth visit).
- See Natasha BI demo video - Natasha is a high school student who vapes cannabis and receives a brief intervention after completing the CRAFFT screening tool.
- Adolescent SBIRT Brief Intervention & Follow Up demo video (SBIRT in Colorado, Peer Assistance Services, Inc., 2020) - This video demonstrates a nurse delivering a brief intervention to a 15-year-old adolescent who drinks alcohol and uses marijuana and completed the CRAFFT 2.1+N screening tool. This video also highlights the Contract for Life, a tool that can be used to address riding risk, as well as the importance of conducting multiple brief interventions to enhance readiness to change.
- The Effective School Counselor with a High-Risk Teen: Motivational Interviewing demo video (University of Florida Institute for Child health Policy & Cherokee National Behavioral Health)
- Boston University’s BNI-ART Institute demo videos
Trauma Informed Care
- Conversation Guide for Delivering a Trauma-Informed Brief intervention (National Council for Mental Wellbeing) - Intended to help healthcare providers deliver a brief intervention for substance use using a trauma-informed care approach.
- Trauma-Informed Care Implementation Resource Center - Contains information about the definition of trauma, effects of trauma on health and relationships, principles and benefits of trauma-informed care, and what trauma-informed care looks like in action.
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and Positive Childhood Experiences (PCEs)
- ACEs, Suicide, and Overdose website (APHA and CDC) – This training website addresses ACEs, overdose, and suicide and provides videos and audio recordings, infographics, a collective messaging framework, talking points, and a customizable presentation template, all of which can be used as tools to educate and raise awareness about the intersection of these public health challenges.
- ACEs Information/Prevention Strategies (CDC)
- ACEs Vital Signs Fact Sheet (CDC)
- Positive Childhood Experiences (PCEs) Information (Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health)
Role Plays and SBIRT Practice
- MI Skills Role Play - age 13, high risk, vaping marijuana
- MI Skills Role Play - age 17, failing school, high risk
- MI Skills Role Play - Bridget - alcohol and edibles
- MI Skills Role Play - Kevin - alcohol and injury
- MI Skills Role Play - Cam - High risk, alcohol and vaping, age 16
- MI Skills Role Play - Andrea - marijuana
- Follow Up Role Play - Patrick
- Sample Interaction (script) - BI + RT, CRAFFT+N 2.1, PHQ-9A - age 18
- Sample Interaction (script) - BI with moderate risk, marijuana, age 17, sports physical and injury
- Sample Interaction (script) - Screening + BI- age 16, trouble at school
- Sample Interaction (script) - BI + RT, CRAFFT 2.1
- Sample Interaction (script) - BI with high risk needing RT, opioids
- Sample Interactions (scripts) - Screening with CRAFFT 2.1 - age 16, trouble at school
- Sample Interactions (scripts) - Screening with CRAFFT 2.1N - age 16, trouble at school
Worksheets to Enhance Brief Intervention
- Decisional Balance Worksheet (NORC) - Can be used to help a patient make a clear decision on whether he/she/they wants to change. This exercise asks a patient to articulate the pros and cons of changing, as well as continuing their current behavior.
- Change Plan Worksheet (NORC) - This goal setting exercise is useful for helping a patient articulate specifically what they want to change and develop a plan for change.
- Goal Setting Exercise (NORC) - Can be used to help a patient set one or more behavior change goals.
- Triggering Self-Monitoring Diaries (NORC) - Can be used to help a patient reflect on and keep track of their triggers, urges to use, and coping strategies.
- Triggers Worksheet (Therapist Aid)
- Coping Skills (Therapist Aid)
- Building Discrepancy (Therapist Aid)
- My Health Goals (Colorado SBIRT-SBHC Project)
- No Use Challenge (Colorado SBIRT-SBHC Project)
- Contract for Life (SADD)